Call for Presentations (Lecture-Recitals, Papers, etc.):
24th Annual Graduate Students in Music (GSIM) Conference
The Graduate Center of the City University of New York (CUNY)
The students of the Department of Music at The Graduate Center, CUNY, are pleased to announce the 24th Annual GSIM Conference held virtually on March 19–20, 2021.
The conference will include a keynote address by Dr. Nina Sun Eidsheim (UCLA).
We invite graduate students in all music disciplines (composition, performance, musicology, ethnomusicology, music theory) and related fields to submit proposals for presentations on any topic.
We are accepting proposals for academic papers and lecture-recitals. We especially encourage interdisciplinary work and presentations of new compositions. Applicants should plan for a 20-minute presentation followed by a 10-minute discussion. Presentations will be pre-recorded and streamed live via Zoom on the days of the conference, followed by question and answer sessions.
- Proposals should be no more than 300 words in length. Up to two additional pages of examples/references and/or three minutes of a recording excerpt may be included. Everything should be compiled together in a single PDF and a single MP3 file. Files should be no bigger than 5 MB.
- Proposals must not include the author’s name and should be purged of any indication of the author’s identity. Digital author tags should be removed from the metadata of PDF files.
- Please include one sentence at the top of your proposal indicating the preferred format(s) of your presentation. For example:
- I wish to be considered for a lecture-recital.
- I prefer to do a lecture-recital but would also consider an academic paper.
- If you are submitting a proposal featuring a new composition, please include a summary of your planned remarks about your piece (e.g., musical analysis, cultural context, historical framing, etc.)
Proposals should be submitted electronically at this URL: https://tinyurl.com/GSIM2021. The application interface will ask for the submitter’s name, institutional affiliation, and academic status. The deadline for submission is January 15, 2021. Questions may be addressed to co-chairs Samuel Teeple and Stephen Gomez-Peck at CUNY.GSIM@gmail.com.